Too busy living to write about life

My apologies....When my life gets crazy, communication falls through the cracks, both in keeping up with friends and keeping up with writing on here. Blogging is a luxury for those with spare time, which is a commodity I can afford very little of these days. This past week was particularly insane...four papers, one huge exam, and trying to finish choreographing a duet. Top that off with rehearsals at night and work in the morning, and you've got some very full days and a few emotional breakdowns.

Sometimes I feel like a hamster running on a wheel, endlessly running as fast as I can to get nowhere. It's so easy to get bogged down in what's happening hour to hour, day to day, and forgetting that all this insanity will really just be a temporary blur in the big picture of my life. Those are the moments when I just have to breathe and let it all go.

Also after this week, if I never hear words like "prepositional phrase," "olfactory semiotics," or "grammatical bound derivational morphemes" again, I'll be quite happy. A similar sentiment applies to my thoughts towards Bach's Goldburg Variations, which we are required to use in my choreography class right now...try dancing to every beat of Variatio 8. a 2 Clav. and you'll see how I feel.

But enough of that!

Cultural highlights of my week: Last weekend, my friends and I went to see Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing. Very hilariously witty, and particularly enjoyable when followed by eating two large pizzas at midnight. This weekend we went to see Big River, which is a musical adaptation of Huckleberry Finn. It was decently good, but let me just say I think Mark Twain would have been rolling in his grave...and not with laughter. Some books are simply not meant to be musicals, and the content gets pretty trivialized when key elements are made into big show numbers. What's next, Crime and Punishment hits Broadway? I'd like to hear those songs.
The other "artistic" moment of the week was one of our own making...one of my house-mates is working on a choreography project that uses group improvisation, so most of my friends, dancers and non-dancers alike are involved. It's a lot of fun to get together once a week, put on some music, and just go with the flow! The results are always an equal mixture of beauty and craziness, so it's intriguing to watch what happens.

Culinary highlights of the week: I've decided that communal cooking is really the way to go. You get to enjoy the companionship of your friends, while cooking something that is more delicious and less time consuming than anything you could normally make on your own. We did this three times this week. One night featured pasta with homemade tomato and vegetable sauce. The next meal was a gigantic stir fry with a smorgasbord of shared ingredients....broccoli, zucchini, squash, tofu, potatoes, egg, carrots, and onions. The third event was Saturday morning breakfast (at noon, of course), with homemade biscuits, sausage gravy (vegan sausage, which is surprisingly good) and scrambled eggs.

Mmm, it's making me hungry just writing about it. Time for lunch and as always, more homework.
......................................................................................................
Currently reading: lots of Emerson and Whitman, for American Lit class. I remember really liking their stuff in high school, and while I still find them intriguing, they mostly seem like pretty arrogant, self-obsessed twats now. Perhaps as a 15 year old I just identified so well with their arrogant self-obsession that their writing seemed delightful.
Currently listening to: The new Coldplay album! Viva La Vida is one of the albums I missed while I was away this summer, and it's great.... the soaringly triumphant title track is my particular favorite.

2 Response to "Too busy living to write about life"

  1. Emerly Sue Says:

    Can we please adapt Crime and Punishment for Broadway? I will personally pour my life blood into that project.

  2. Kristi Says:

    haha! me too. lets be famous in New York together.