"The Times They Are A-Changin'"

Friday was Halloween, as you may know. My friend Rachel and I planned to dress up as vampires, but we discovered that cheap teeth are remarkably unadhesive. After about twenty tries of sticking lots of nasty putty in our mouths, we gave up. We settled instead for wearing black and putting ghostly white makeup on our faces...so I think ultimately, we just looked really sickly all night. After passing through a massive police checkpoint (which I'm sure caught loads of drunk students), we cruised around downtown in my car a little after midnight, marveling at the ridiculously long lines outside of every night club. Not surprisingly, every line was filled with dozens of girls wearing the most minimal amount of clothing possible...I could only laugh and feel a bit of pity as I watched them all shivering in the freezing cold. Sorry, you brought that one on yourselves, ladies.

This has also been a weekend of memories. My old friend Michael Way, who is currently in his first year of grad school for cello in El Paso, TX, came up to visit. It was so good to see him (despite the massive fear that he induced for me all weekend). Michael has a bad reputation for enjoying the experience of scaring the living daylights out of his friends (particularly me, the jumpy one). I actually barricaded my house doors Friday night, and walked on eggshells for the rest of the weekend, I kid you not.

Then right after he left, I got a call from another familiar voice. My good friend Andrew and his new wife Katherine (is June new? I suppose not) came up for the evening to spend a couple of hours with us tonight. For a couple of hours, everything seemed just like it used to be: we ate stir-fry and drank Paul's delicious coffee while we all talked about music, movies, politics, relationships, education, television, faith....all the usuals. I just wished it could stay like that, but it had to end, so abruptly. I used to take it all for granted, and now the moments with all these people are precious. I wish I could go back to those years when we were all together, but I can still find happiness in seeing the ways my friends' lives are growing in new directions, to see the ways they are all making a difference in the world in their new locatations.

I miss so much of the way things were, and it's just hard to watch everyone growing up.
......................................................
Currently listening to: "Chicago," by Sufjan Stevens....."all things go, all things go"

1 Response to ""The Times They Are A-Changin'""

  1. Emerly Sue Says:

    I like how Halloween is a chance for all the ladies to get real slutty. You can sluttify anything. A cat, a nurse, a pumpkin. Go figure.