An Ethical Quandary

Anyone who knows me knows that I'm pretty nuts about the show Lost. In addition to lots of stellar action, romance, and drama, the show continually raises new philisophical and ethical questions every week. This week brought us a very controversial moral dilemma that sparked a great deal of coversation between my friends.

Here it is: If you knew that an individual was going to commit unspeakable acts of violence and evil, and you had a chance to travel back to the past and kill him....would you do it? Would you do it even if that individual was a child at the time you traveled back to in order to kill him? Would it be unethical to kill an "innocent" child if you knew with certainty that you would be preventing many more murders in the future by killing him? (for example, would you execute a twelve year old Adolf Hitler in order to prevent the Holocaust? My friends and I felt pretty conflicted about this debate, and we all ended up falling on both sides, as did the characters on the show. It's clearly a pretty touchy, sensitive question, so I was somewhat amazed that the show's writers even dared to introduce it into the plot.

1 Response to "An Ethical Quandary"

  1. Megan Says:

    YES!!! What a crazy thing! I had the same thoughts after watching LOST. So interesting, and I still don't know how I feel about it.