Do I really ever have to leave Prague?

I have not been writing that much this week, because there is SO much to enjoy in this city. I've spent a lot of time wondering around the city, going to cafes and such. I took an interesting walking tour a few days ago, and yesterday I went to the Franz Kafka museum for the first time (see the giant K to the left?). More than anything, I am spending most of my time with the Stewarts, the wonderful missionary family that I worked with last summer. They are truly kindred spirits, and I am so thankful for this time of sweet fellowship with them. I am also totally in love with their sweet sons Sasha and Izaak, who keep me continually entertained.

Today is my birthday (finally 21!) I was worried that I might feel lonely or sad to be celebrating without my family or friends in the States, but I feel so wonderfully happy and at home here. It feels absolutely magical to have my birthday in such a breathtaking city, and I know it's one I will always remember. I am VERY excited about an Indian birthday dinner and rich chocolate cake tonight!

A few firsts for my trip here: I went to my first spin class in the city with one of my Czech friends, and nearly died...cardio exercise is just not my thing. If you've never been to a spin class, it's essentially a room filled with stationary bikes, with an instructor yelling directions at you to peddle faster or in a higher gear....for a straight hour. The room was semi-dark with black-glow-lighting, and our instructor yelled all his prompts in Czech. It was quite the experience, and my leg muscles are still burning.

I am also knitting my first fancy hat (with pearl stitches and cables and four needles and all that exciting stuff) thanks to my friend Joanna's extensive knitting skills. I have botched it up more times than I can count, but it's so much fun to watch it steadily grow ( it is much larger than when this picture was taken). I have good motivation to finish it too, since I can't take the needles with me!

I am having a truly wonderful time (to be honest, it's hard to think about moving on in a few days). On my first day back here, I sat on the edge of the Charles Bridge as the sun sank in the sky, listening to a jazz band play on the bridge and looking out over the Vltava River. Even with streams of tourists pouring past me, it felt so peaceful. I could have stayed there forever.

Here are a few more pictures:

2 Response to "Do I really ever have to leave Prague?"

  1. Emerly Sue Says:

    Kristi,

    I love you and miss you and hope you have a wonderful birthday! (:

  2. Kristi Says:

    thanks Emily! i miss and love you too!