Pocahontas of the Highlands

One of the things I really love about being back here is being back in the Free Church. Yesterday we went to two services that involved singing purely acapella psalms and having a cup of tea directly after the sermon.....only in Scotland! Being with Fiona's family is really lovely too, because they are so warm and kind. I just feel like a part of their family already. Every night they gather around the fireplace and they all sing a psalm, followed by their father reading a passage of scripture and a long prayer. I should note that all of their children are in their twenties, and they still particpate in this every day when they're home. It's such a comforting and beautiful tradition, and I really loved being a part of it for a few days.

The church service yesterday brought quite a few laughs with it too. Many people were quite intrigued by Fiona's American bridesmaid, so they came up to introduce themselves and ask me about myself. One Scottish couple who were about my parents' age chatted with me for a long time, and then all of a sudden, the husband asked "So, are both your parents American?" I was a bit surprised by the question, but I replied, "Yes, they are." He said, "I just wondered, because you look quite dark." His wife and daughter were rather horrified, but I just laughed and said, "Well, that's maybe because I am part Native American." They all murmured excitedly about this for a minute, and then he blurted out, "That makes sense, because I have been thinking this whole time you look a wee bit like Pocahontas." Everyone around us was totally mortified and embarassed, but I just died laughing and told him I thought it was absolutely hilarious. I told him it would give me an excellent story to take back to the States....it's not every day you get compared to a Disney princess, you know. Quite an achievement, I'd say!

1 Response to "Pocahontas of the Highlands"

  1. Emerly Sue Says:

    Completely awesome.