Reasons to Celebrate

It's been kind of a crazy week of rehearsals, so I've been sorely lacking time to write, but here are some exciting events of the past couple of weeks:

1) Parties! My wonderful friend Sarah turned 23 last week, and I was happy to realize that this was the third birthday I've celebrated with her. Rachel and Lauren baked her a homemade chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting and strawberries...it was delicious! I ate tons and tons of frosting by itself as they were concocting the cake until I made myself sick (but it was totally worth it). For Valentine's Day, my friend Gina had a very girly, pink, sparkly party at her house. It was utterly perfect for the holiday, complete with cupcakes, fudge, games, balloons, and romantic jazz music.

2) Speaking of Valentine's Day, I should share with you a hilarious story that has been a running joke with me and my friends the past few weeks. A couple of weekends ago, I was spending my Friday morning in the usual way, watching the minutes drag by as I endure my hours of work at the library. I was stamping and sorting newspapers in silence with another girl when she suddenly asked me, "So, what are you doing for Valentine's Day?" I replied that I would probably be spending the evening with friends. She raised her eyebrows and looked at me with a mixture of surprise and horror. (If it were possible to replicate her valley-girl sort of tone here, I would, but just use your imagination) "Your friends? You don't have a date or something?" I laughed and said I was really looking foward to hanging out with all my friends that evening, so it didn't bother me. She looked at me as though I were some sort of bizzare alien. Then, her ditzy voice filled with pity, she said "Well, I guess you could go to the circus. That's what me and my boyfriend are doing, and maybe single people could go enjoy it too." Well, there's the punchline. I was trying so hard not to die laughing as she said those words. The circus?! Seriously? It's pretty much the last place I would want to spend an evening regardless of my relational status.

3) Study Abroad is HAPPENING! Things are really rolling now and I am pumped. I turned in all my application materials this past Friday, and I had my interview on Tuesday. This fall, God willing, I will either be going to Carmarthen, Wales or Glasgow, Scotland. I can't wait! Look these places up on http://www.flickr.com/ to see some beautiful images of both.
4) MY ROOM IS CLEAN. This never ever happens. I think this is the first time all year. I spent five hours cleaning tonight and (three garbage bags of trash later) I am quite proud to see it looking decent for once.
.................................................................................
Current musical preference: Fiction Family! I have been hearing good things for quite some time now, and so I finally broke down and bought the album this week. SO good, worth every penny. Jon Foreman and Sean Watkins--how could it not be good? My current favorite is "When She's Near," but I'm sure that will change as I listen to the album more.

2 Response to "Reasons to Celebrate"

  1. Emerly Sue Says:

    THE CIRCUS? What a meaningless, strange place to go on Valentines Day. But you know what, I bet it would be better to go as a couple because if the bearded lady is too scary, you wouldn't have anyone's hand to hold.

    Or maybe she was just hoping to see you again. haha.

  2. thewayiwill Says:

    bahahaha Circus lovers.

    Study abroad! love it, enjoy it. you'll never regret it... unforgettable experiences. mmmmmm I'm excited for you. Pick a really pretty place. that would make not going to class really nice :D cause Europeans like to not go to class as much or work as hard. haha. laid back. it's all about people.