really, it's june already?


I've been on the move so much these past few weeks that it's been hard to make myself sit down and write. Summer has definitely begun with a bang.

After moving into my new summer apartment, I spent this past weekend at the wedding (and surrounding festivities) of my dear friends Sam and Gina. Sam and I met as freshmen on our first day at college, so it feels very surreal to think of him as a married man. The fun thing about being young is being free to dance with all your friends all night at a fancy wedding, even when no one else is dancing! We kicked off our high heels and had a delightful time on the dance floor all night after stuffing ourselves with a remarkably extravagant spread of wedding food. I like the metaphors in the Bible that compare heaven to a wedding feast...

After returning from the glamorous wedding, my roomates and I spent the rest of the weekend scrubbing our house from top to bottom. It was utterly exhausting and kind of sad to see it empty and bare. Funny how a house doesn't feel like home any more when you strip it of everything that made it yours.

I've also been getting used to my new job with the refugee organization. It does seem far more like a real job than what I was expecting (now if only I could find another job that actually pays me). I've been working several 9-5 days with them, doing a lot of administrative work up in a lovely loft office downtown, tutoring kids, and going to community awareness meetings. Ironically, though I can't find a job myself, I spent a lot of time researching job leads for a few new refugees and (if things go well) found them all jobs within two days. I still feel really excited about that...in a short period of time, I've seen that small victories seem hard to come by in this line of work. In another twist of irony, I'm also writing an employment curriculum for a new class that will begin this summer, teaching refugees how to search for, apply for, interview for, and keep jobs. It's a lot more responsibility than I thought I would be taking on, but that's really exciting to me. It's great experience, since I can really see myself working with non-profits at some point after graduation.

Okay, there's more I want to write about, but my eyes are barely open. More sometime soon, I hope....
* * * * * * *
Listening to: the new (not-even-yet-really-released) derek webb song, obtained through a tangled web of clues and controversy and exciting methods of marketing. boy, when derek causes a stir, he really does it up big....i can't wait for Stockholm Syndrome to finally come out.

1 Response to "really, it's june already?"

  1. Emerly Sue Says:

    Sounds like a cool opportunity with the refugee resettlement. (: