Xin chao, summertime!

This summer is shaping up to be pretty extraordinary in its own way. Here are some highlights from the past couple of weeks:

1. Working with refugees is interesting, because a lot of them speak little to no English. As I was taking a Vietnamese girl to the doctor last week, I learned how to say "hello" in Vietnamese: "xin chao." (I also learned that my pronounciation was ridiculously bad). I've also been really touched by the generosity of my own church. Last Sunday, I announced that one of our new refugee families was arriving to a completely empty apartment, and the response was overwhelming. Person after person came up to me after both services, offering their time, manpower, and tons of donated furniture and household items. It means so much to me to see people who aren't just sitting in those seats hearing the gospel every week, but actually living out the gospel through their willingness to sacrifice and give...I kept thinking of Matthew 25:35, "I was a stranger and you welcomed me..."

2. I got a public library card, and it makes me absurdly happy. If anyone has any wonderful summer reading suggestions, let me know...I'm out of the habit of reading fiction just for the fun of it, and I'm trying to develop that skill again. In fact, I'm about to head down the street to Starbucks to read Correlli's Mandalin and Henri Nouwen's Finding My Way Home (confession: I have trouble focusing all my attention on one book at a time).


3. My friends are growing up. One couple just had a baby, another just moved into their first home after returning from their honeymoon, another is getting married in a week. It feels strange....I keep asking myself "HOW AM I THIS OLD ALREADY?" I'm so thrilled for all of them--and very excited to meet this precious new little one very soon.

4. One of the benefits of having friends getting married: I get to eat a lot of practice wedding cakes, and they are oh-so-good.

* * * * * * * * * *
new favorite book: Mudhouse Sabbath. I absolutely love this, it's by a girl who converted from Judaism to Christianity in her college years, but wants to integrate all of her Jewish traditions and heritage into her Christian faith. I love the beauty and ritual of Judaism, and it's really neat to hear someone else who wants to see the same fusion of religious practices.

new favorite song: "The Ballad of Love and Hate," by the Avett Brothers. just lovely.

1 Response to "Xin chao, summertime!"

  1. Emerly Sue Says:

    I live at the library these days. I'm glad you got a card. (: