Cultural Education Moments of the Week

1) RUGBY. I watched rugby for the first time on Saturday, and I find it amazing. A Scottish friend told me a few weeks ago, "American football is basically like rugby for sissies." And now I understand his sentiment completely. It's a combination of some of the best elements of football, soccer, and even basketball, and it's the most violent sport I've ever watched. Did I mention they wear absolutely NO protective gear? No padding, no helmets, just soccer shorts and jerseys, and they are pretty much out there murdering each other. The action is way more nonstop and intense than any sport I've ever watched! I was impressed.

2) Ice-Skating! At Christmas time, George Square, the city center of Glasgow, is transformed into a giant winter festival, with tons of lights everywhere, a few carnival rides, a massive Christmas tree, and an ice skating rink! I went with some fellow international students this past weekend and we had a blast. The best part, by far, was helping my friend Kunal. Being from India, he's never had a chance to go ice-skating, so naturally he was pretty terrified! We finally convinced him to let go of the railing and let us try to teach him a few things, and his positive attitude made him a great learner.

3)My Chinese roommates made some amaaaazing fried rice this week and let me taste some.....I don't think eating Chinese takeout will ever be the same after eating the real deal. They are also teaching me some Chinese! I think they have trouble understanding why I like their language, but I keep trying to tell them how much I want to learn. So far I know these words/phrases: Mother, Father, My name is..., How are you?, I am good, Tofu, Tea, and Dumpling. I might not get too far in Shanghai with that, but they tell me I am a good learner, so that's a start!

4) Yesterday, I tried Mince Pie for the first time! It is a Scottish Christmas staple, and now I see why. I also made quite a fool out of myself as I asked my Scottish friend at a coffee shop why they were selling mince pies along with all the sweet pastries.....you see, the British refer to ground beef as "mince," so naturally I assumed these little tart sized pies were all filled with beef. Both my friend and the man behind the counter laughed endlessly at my confusion, and after tasting a pie, I now know that they are 100% meat-free....they're a delicious sweet, fruity, and slightly spicy little piece of heaven. I'm actually eating another one right now!

5) I also tried haggis again today. I really wish I could say I liked this.....

6) Last night, I went to my first pantomime, or "panto" as they often call it, at the Royal Scottish Academy for Music and Drama. Pantomimes a huge British tradition, which I think are particularly big at Christmastime. It's a fun family play, meant for children but with enough humor to keep the adults really entertained as well. It involves a lot of audience participation and fun musical numbers. I had so much fun, yelling and singing and laughing (not to mention imagining ways to re-choreograph a few of the dance scenes).

7) I spent my entire weekend practically living with a few Scottish friends, and the more I am with them, the harder it is to think about leaving. They are all so delightful and funny and kind and I just enjoy every moment we're together. Last night I told them their new project was to figure out a way to get me back to Scotland in the very near future, so I hope their brains are hard at work!

2 Response to "Cultural Education Moments of the Week"

  1. Loki Says:

    did i tell you the time my shorts got ripped off during a rugby game?! how embarrassing. but im glad you enjoyed watching the game :)

  2. thewayiwill Says:

    sounds like you're getting past the "let's talk about the differences in our countries" stage, and really getting to know those guys. Isn't it amazing what can happen in a semester. Soak up your time there, enjoy every moment with the people around you. :D

    p.s. I love reading your blog cause it reminds me of my time in France, the emotions, the glory, the splendor, the friends, the food, the embarrassment, etc.