My Wee Scottish Dictionary

I have wanted to do this all semester, and I am thrilled to finally be writing it! Sure, everyone speaks English in Scotland, but there are quite a few words and phrases in the vocabulary that are really different. Here's a list of a few that I've picked up while I've been here (Scottish readers, feel free to comment on any incorrect definitions!):

Hiya!: this is the most common greeting, and it's always said really cheerfully! I already miss hearing it when I walk into
wee: this is the adjective for everything. Of course it means "small," but it's used for things that aren't small....I've heard people say "Let's have a wee cup of tea and a wee chat in that wee shop around the corner." It's just thrown in everywhere, and can sort of mean something akin to "casual." Going out for a "wee cuppa coffee" means a casual conversation.
sorted: (pronounced "sore-ed", just drop your t sound....when I first heard it I thought people were saying "sordid" and I was really confused) This refers to being all set, everything's worked out or come together nicely. You might talk about someone who's really "got it together" by saying "She's just so sorted!", or when something good works out for your friend it's used as a happy exclamation: "Aw, sorted!!"
gutted: (like "sorted, drop your t--"guh-ed") This means you're devastated or disappointed. It's also used when someone has just made fun of you or cracked a good joke at your expense, like "Oooh, gutted!" (a bit like "Burn" or "Oh snap" in the States).
"having a laugh": someone is just kidding around. This can also be said to mean having a good time together, "We were having some good laughs tonight."
"taking the mick": When you get teased or someone is having a laugh at your expense, they are "taking the mick out of you," like they're really getting you good.
mental: an adjective to describe anything crazy, wild, extraordinary.
brilliant: the most positive adjective, to describe anything wonderful and great
mingin': an adjective for anything gross, nasty, ugly...I've heard my girl friends say many a time,"Oh man, my hair is mingin' today!"
well
/dead /proper: All intensifying words that are used in a very different way in America....for example, my first week I heard someone say they were "proper sick" (to mean they were seriously ill) or to say "I'm well tired," meaning they were really, really exhausted. "Dead" is a really common intensifier, like "That's dead exciting!" or the most well known exclaimation in Glasgow, "Pure dead brilliant!" I must say, I do love to hear someone say that something is "well cool."
hen: a term of endearment for women. One time a cashier said to me, "Alright there hen, have a nice day" and it startled me for a second! Fun Fact: Scottish bachelorette parties are called the bride's "hen night."
aye: yes
cheers!: this is not only used as a toast, but also to say "thanks." On my first day moving into my dorm, I held the door open for a guy and he said "Aw, cheers!" and I was pretty confused!
"how are you finding...": Someone asked me at least once a week, "How are you finding Scotland?" or "How are you finding your classes?" They don't mean "how are you locating," but rather, "How are you getting on, how do you like it, what do you think of it?"
chat: this is not just a verb, but a noun...it's quite common to say "Yea, we had some good chat tonight" or "Want to go out for a coffee and a wee chat?"
knackered: tired, exhausted
"that's you": means you're finished, you're done, you're all figured out/tied up loose ends. For instance, around exam time, people would ask, "So one more paper and that's you?"
Baltic: used to describe really cold weather: "Better wrap up, it's Baltic outside!"
"the craic": (pronounced "crack," which is what makes it hilarious) this is without a doubt the funniest Scottish word I have learned. It is a really broad term that covers a lot. It can mean banter or good conversation...for instance, one of my friends likes to say "The craic was really flowing tonight!" or "Did you have some good craic yesterday?" You can also refer to a witty person as "good craic." I really cannot get over thinking about crack cocaine every time I hear it and I just laugh so hard (though that's not what it refers to at all!) In some parts of Scotland, it's also common to say "What's the craic?" as a greeting, meaning "What's up?" Once I was talking to a Scottish friend about my American friend who is a teacher, and she said "Oh, that must be great fun, to get the craic from all your students. Some good banter, eh?" Yet again, I died laughing. If an American teacher talked about getting crack from her students....well, it would mean something quite a bit different!

3 Response to "My Wee Scottish Dictionary"

  1. Emerly Sue Says:

    I do always love to learn new words.

  2. Anonymous Says:

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
  3. Niecey Says:

    I'm a Scottish expat who moved to the States in 2007. So this was amusing for me. A couple of those phrases I hadn't realized yet that they don't use them over here! No wonder people look at me confused when I talk!