Highland Hospitality

I left Glasgow on Thursday morning (after the worst goodbye ever) and drove up to Inverness with my friend Suzie. Just as we left Glasgow it started snowing the biggest snowflakes I've ever seen, and it hasn't really stopped since then. Everything around us is covered in a deep blanket of snow. It's absolutely beautiful (and a little scary, since I need to get back to Glasgow tomorrow morning and the roads are totally covered)!
Anyway, the Highlands are amazing. I'm actually in a little village in the Black Isle called Fortrose, which is about a 15 minute drive from the city of Inverness. I think we're about 4 hours north of Glasgow. It's so beautiful out here, and it's a totally different side of Scotland from what I've seen before. It's right on the beach, but it's also surrounded by rolling pastures and snow capped mountains. I've never seen such a unique, lovely combination of scenery.

I've had a wonderful time with the MacLean family. I've probably eaten more food in the past few days than in my past three years of college combined. Pot roast, cheesecake, yorkshire pudding, chicken curry, lasagna, sticky toffee pudding, and at least 10 cups of tea everyday. Scots measure weight in "stones", and I was told before I came here that I would put on at least 2 stone (1 stone is equal to approx. 14 lbs). They were so right....

I've been enjoying warm fires, good chats, a night walk on the frozen beach, some black pudding and haggis I actually found delicious, a drive out to Loch Ness, and some Christmas shopping in the snow. Excellent times! Tomorrow (weather permitting) I'm headed back to Glasgow on a bus, where I'll be packing for America all day, then flying out early Tuesday morning. I really can't believe tomorrow will be my last day in Scotland....whoa. Time flies.

1 Response to "Highland Hospitality"

  1. Emerly Sue Says:

    I can't wait to see you!