Road Trip with a Ring!


It's been such a crazy week. I'm pretty sure it's been a few weeks since I've gotten to bed before 3:00 AM or gotten more than 5 hours of sleep per night. When you realize you have such a limited time with people you love, you want to spend every minute with them (not to mention writing papers)! Yesterday was without a doubt one of the best days I've had since arriving in Scotland. I took an awesome road trip up to Glencoe with with all my best friends here, and we saw some of the most beautiful, majestic scenery I've ever seen. I'm still finding it hard to believe it was all real. The most exciting part of the day, though, was that the whole "road trip for the Americans" bit was really a decoy....my friend Roddy, who drove us, was proposing to my friend Fiona! We have been involved in planning the proposal for a couple of weeks now, so it's a marvelous relief to finally be able to let the secret out after a great deal of deception and sneaking about everywhere. She said yes, by the way, to a very romantic, elaborate, lovely proposal in a gorgeous little stone church in Glencoe. (sidenote: why have all my friends, at home and abroad, gotten engaged this year?! This is a crazy phenomenon and it just won't stop!)

It is such an honor to be involved in something like this....for friends to consider you such an important part of their life, even for such a short time, that they would want you to be a special part of a day they will remember forever. It was the last day I could spend with all of them together and it was one I'll never forget. I said goodbye to Fiona this morning and cried for quite some time.....BUT I hope it's not goodbye for too terribly long because I now have a pretty darn good excuse (a WEDDING) to come back to Scotland, and that's really thrilling. I'm excited to see my first wedding where the groom and the groomsmen are all in kilts!

At this moment, I am happy to be done with school and enjoying my last few days in Scotland up in the Highlands, staying with friends in Inverness and trying to get at least a few hours of sleep before going to see Loch Ness tomorrow (lookin' out for Nessie, of course....)

1 Response to "Road Trip with a Ring!"

  1. thewayiwill Says:

    I know exactly what you mean, people are getting engaged and married left and right! it's crazy!